How to Get Your Kids to Commit to a Healthy Diet Plan


When I was in the first grade I weighed 98 pounds. At the time I was the heaviest kid in my class. Definitely not a good thing for my self-esteem.

Since I was the one and only chubby kid my parents were concerned enough to take me to a doctor for help. That resulted in my first diet. Although it was, in retrospect, a healthy diet plan it was also an absolutely miserable experience.

I already knew that I was different and the diet only furthered that notion. Something as simple as a school lunch turned into a painful reminder that I just wasn't like everybody else.

To my knowledge there were very few diets from which to choose back in those days...and they were usually prescribed by a medical doctor. In fact, Weight Watchers was one of the first diets to hit the market, and that didn't occur until the early 1960's.

I still recall the single multi-fold diet sheet. In small print was listed what and when I could eat. The other thing I vividly remember is that I was limited to a torturous 1,000 calories per day.

That was a long time ago. But what would have happened if I had been born within this decade? For certain, I would not be the only obese child in class. In fact, there is a good chance that my size would have appeared more "normal" which raises the question: "Would my parents have been as motivated to seek help?"

My point is that "fat" has become main stream and consequently more acceptable. Parents are less likely to see excessive weight as a serious problem. Additionally, many parents are themselves obese which makes it even more difficult for children to get the guidance and help they need to get their weight under control.

Kids today are not only overfed but we have created a culture of inactivity. Video games and TV have replaced fun outdoor activities.

The good news is that today's parents, who are willing to help and protect their children from this obesity epidemic, have access to plentiful resources for solving the problem.

A Google search for "diet for kids" returns 81,000,000 results. Among those are many properly motivated and rightly constructed healthy diet plans for kids. Always consider the motivation of these marketing and information sources. Are they motivated by greed or a sincere desire to contribute to the health and well-being for your children?

The Mayo Clinic provides excellent information for the healthy diet and nutrition requirements for children in different age groups. I strongly recommend that you take the advice of the medical community in regard to helping your children. Don't risk the health of your child on a fad diet.

If your child is just mildly overweight and the problem can be corrected by the loss of a few pounds then the solution is easy. Just cut back on food quantity, provide healthier food choices, and give them more opportunities for physical exercise.

In more severe situations where obesity is present you will need more specialized help. If obesity is an issue for you as a parent then your family needs help. Your weight problem has created an environment where you child doesn't stand a chance unless you get help for yourself as well. Make it a family project with the help of reliable health professionals.

Research has indicated that children adopt the eating habits of their parents. If you are a picky eater you will likely your children will be picky eaters. Conversely, if you are all about healthy eating then your children will be prone to embrace those good eating habits.

Parents frequently use the expression, "Do as I say, not as I do!" In reality, kids emulate our behavior. If you expect obedience to your instruction then you must back it up with your actions. "Practice what you preach! Live what you advise!"

Your lifestyle dramatically affects your child's lifestyle. Getting your child to acquiesce to a healthy diet plan first begins with you. To get them to commit you have to prove that you are committed. Lead by example.

Richard Weirich co-hosts the internationally popular Health at Last Radio and has written numerous publications on weight loss, health, and wellness. For more tips on a healthy diet plan click here and you can also visit the author's website here.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Richard_Weirich

No comments:

Post a Comment